Tuesday, August 7, 2012

DAS races at the Wrath of the Boneyard

The MTB season is coming to an end quickly, and cyclocross is lurking on the edge of everyone's mind - everyone that gives a crap about bike racing anyhow.  In the meantime, there are still a few races left on the Root 66 Race Series and a few on the EFTA series.  

The Wrath of the Boneyard was July 28th, and it seemed to have a small turnout this year.  The temperatures weren't quite as bad as the year before, but the course has had the reputation for being a little rough.  It's likely that people just didn't want to deal with the threat of flat tires and taco-ed wheels.  DAS only had 2 representatives at this one - Dan and Liz A.  

Dan raced in men's Cat 1 30-39 and finished with a podium in 3rd.  Here's his take:
Slow and steady wins the ra.. well comes in 3rd. Wrath of the boneyard is known to be ridiculously rocky and it fulfilled its promise. I saw more flat tires than I ever saw, more DNFs than any race. For the last 3 weeks I have been heavily traveling for work, only riding my bike on race day so I really did not have any expectations. I meant to take off slow out of the gate but sprinted with the front of the pack and stayed in 2nd for most of the first lap. Then the lack of training and riding hit me and I rolled it back to last place. As the TV theme songs cranked up in my head I got into a good groove and kept plugging away, everyone in a while showing signs of speed and skill. In the end I finished 3rd out of 7 moving up to 3rd overall in the points series, super awesome! Millstone Grind 12 hour, Winsted woods then N100 here we come!

Liz finished in 1st for Pro/Open, but did not have any competitors in her category.  Essentially, her competition was the rest of the Cat 1 women.  She found herself battling it out with Susan Lynch for most of the race, and Susan had more power on the climbs.  Liz finished a little over a minute behind Sue, but both women finished at least 18 minutes ahead of the rest of the pack.  

No comments:

Post a Comment